Independent Spelling Stars (in Prep and Year 1)
Full Day Courses 9.30am – 3.30pm
Three Afternoon Sessions 4.30pm – 6.30pm
Two Afternoons in Mt. Gambier 4.00pm – 6.30pm
Each participant receives a manual (value $220) and a lovely hot lunch. (for full day only)
Participants will learn how to explicitly teach the 200 high frequency words for spelling, NOT MEMORY, in a developmental sequence, with meaning.
- Learn the most common sounds that each letter makes and the strategy why
- Teach words with meaning that are made from the sounds the students know
- Understand syllables and when and where the vowels make a short or long sound
- Learn the strategies that help to spell 50,000 words
- Sing and dance about word study
- Empower your students to be independent spellers for life!
Chris Killey is an enthusiastic, dedicated, teacher with 30 years’ experience. Chris has a Graduate Diploma and Masters in Special Education and she is a trained LEM instructor. Chris was the coordinator of the SPELD learning centre for over 8 ½ years and is still running her own tutoring business.
Chris is passionate about helping all students to be independent learners and has developed explicit, simple, yet effective teaching strategies using colour, songs and games and has had fantastic results with students. Chris is a co-author of the Australian Supplement for the ‘Words Their Way’ Spelling program and author of many books other on spelling, grammar and mathematics. Chris’s presentations are entertaining, inspiring, hands on and practical.
She has presented at many International Conferences and presents regularly all around Australia.